Friday, February 23, 2007

Ah Hyperbole, The Fish and Chips of The British Literary Diet

NME cracks me up.

For the anti-Anglophiles, that's New Musical Express, which is the Brit's
answer to Rolling Stone. Covered in caramel. Dipped in Pop Rocks. With
confectioner's sugar thrown at it.

Whereas Rolling Stone completely panders to young readers by fluffing terrible music every other issue (Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy getting covers? Come
On),NME is on a constant sugar high, proclaiming a new greatest band in the history of music every 6 months or so.

About a year ago NME proclaimed Arcitc Monkey's "Whatever People Say That I Am, That's What I'm Not" the 5th best British album of all time! Let me say that again in its own separate paragraph and capitalized as to extrapolate its ridiculousness.

THE FIFTH BEST BRITISH ALBUM OF ALL TIME.

Seriously?

I mean, it's a kickass album, it might be the 5th best album on my ipod, but let's face facts. Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Radiohead, The Rolling Stones have all released 2-3 albums each better than "Whatever People Say..."

But that's that hyperbole again.

NME struck back again, with a cover that I kind of agree with.



"The Second Coming of The World's Greatest Band". I can dig that. But now it feels cheaper knowing that NME said it.

To make matters worse/better/more entertaining, frontman
Win Butler is pissed because he claims he was misquoted while talking
about the pissing match for all British bands trying to be "the best"
with everything aside from music, citing U2 and Oasis.

For all the bullshit back story,
Check
this


I say, don't expend energy trying to be the best.

Just let NME proclaim it.

No comments: